Related posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Thursday, September 29, 2011

Squeezing that Last Bit of Juiciness from Summer

Remember that fall that I greeted so cheerfully last post? Well, it was just a teaser. The highs have been back in the high 80's or even low 90's, so it hasn't been ideal to break out the hot chocolate just yet.  But, you know what they say, make the most of the situation! In my case that meant a late harvest peach dish. Specifically, Tipsy Peach Glazed Pork Tenderloin. 

Earlier this week one of my lovely readers sent me this wonderful photo of her inspirational apron:

Photo courtesy of Effie Lally

I mean, "Will Cook for Shoes"? That is the motto of my life! (Well, that and "Go forth and be fabulous!") It also made me realize that while I have discussed what I wear while I'm cooking, I have never discussed the fact that I wear aprons (of the awesomely sexy variety) always. Let me repeat, ALWAYS. Nothing will ruin the mood of an amazing meal in the making than looking down and seeing tomato paste on cashmere, or olive oil on silk, or, well, you get the idea.

So, thanks to wonderful friends and family I have quite the collection of aprons to choose from each time I cook. And, yes, I do wear each one according to my outfit. I guess it just seems more fun that when someone sees me cooking (hey, hubby, wink wink) or if someone stops by in the middle of prep, that I am not this hot and splattered sight.  Instead, I am Donna Reed and Rita Hayworth all rolled into one. With a dash of a young Mia Farrow just for kicks.

Without further adieu, I give you my apron collection, my lovelies. 

The one that started it all. From Anthropologie.


A Christmas gift from my girls, they know me well! (Also the one I am wearing today.)

Another gift from my girls. I feel like Betty Boop when I wear it, don't ask me why.

A gift from a wonderful friend along with a fab coffee mug. That's the way to start the day!

Sexiest apron ever! I am always tempted to close the blinds and just wear this as a surprise for the hubby. Maybe I could find a seamstress and have a sundress like this made instead! It was also a gift from a dear friend along with the best cocktail book in the world. I mean, who doesn't want to have a Screaming Blue Orgasm?

As to resources, there are tons, especially with the whole retro resurgence. TJMaxx has been known to carry some cuties. Of course, there's Anthropologie.  But, there are even more online resources. Kitchen Threadz are original designs, they offer a huge variety, and are drop dead adorable! So, if you don't have an apron, go get one. Then, go in the kitchen and make Tipsy Peach Glazed Pork Tenderloin, hot stuff!


(Sorry no pick on this one. Got the dish all plated up, and the camera battery was dead. So, insert a mouthwatering luscious piece of pork here.) 

Tipsy Peach Glazed Pork Tenderloin

  • 3 cups chopped peeled peaches (about 1 1/2 pounds)
  • 1 cup dry white wine
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1 teaspoon salt, divided
  • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, divided
  • 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons honey
  • 1 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon paprika
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
  • 1 pork tenderloin, sliced into 1 inch thick slices
  • peaches, halved and pitted
  • Cooking spray


  • Combine first 3 ingredients in a small saucepan; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 25 minutes. Uncover and simmer 5 minutes. Place peach mixture in a food processor; process until smooth. Add 3/4 teaspoon salt, 1/8 teaspoon black pepper, vinegar, and next 4 ingredients (vinegar through red pepper); pulse to combine. Let stand 5 minutes. Place half of peach mixture in a large heavy-duty zip-top plastic bag; reserve other half for basting. Add tenderloin slices to bag; seal bag and refrigerate 30 minutes to 4 hours.
  • Preheat grill.
  • Remove pork from bag; discard marinade. Sprinkle pork with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon black pepper. Place pork and peach halves on grill rack coated with cooking spray, and grill 10 minutes or until the pork is done and the peaches are tender, turning once. Baste pork and peach halves with the reserved peach mixture every 2 minutes during the first 6 minutes of cooking.
Remember that wine you opened to make those peaches tipsy? Well, pour yourself a glass and take off that apron-cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment